Choosing a pram
A pram might be the priciest item you buy when you’re getting ready for baby’s arrival, so you want to spend your dollars wisely. The sheer number of prams and buggies on the market, each boasting a range of different features, can leave you feeling bamboozled and researching each one can start to feel like a full time job in itself!
Here are some key things you need to consider in order to identify which one is right for you:
- Newborns need to lie flat, so check this is possible. Look for a seat offering a range of positions from lying down to sitting upright. How easy is it to adjust the seat?
- Many experts recommend buggies that have the option for baby to be parent facing so they can see you at all times.
- Will it fit in your car boot? If you can park near the store they might let you try it out to see how it fits.
- Can you lift it easily in and out yourself? You want your buggy to be strong but ideally lightweight.
- Does the handle adjust? It will make life more comfortable if there are drivers of different heights, but in some models adjustable handles are less stable.
- Do you want the option to snap a car capsule onto the buggy frame?
- Will you be using on gravel or unsealed paths? If so you’ll need a buggy with larger wheels.
- If you’ll mostly be in an urban environment your might want a buggy with smaller wheels so that it’s easier to get through the doorways of shops or between tables in a cafe.
- Where will you be storing it at home? Think about this when it comes to size and how compact it becomes once it’s folded down.
- Do you think you’ll want to jog with it at some stage? If so, look for one that is specifically designed for this purpose as not all buggies will be suitable.
- Will you be needing to use it for more than one child now or later on? Many buggies have this option with seats that are either ‘in line’ or side by side. Make sure that the seats can recline independently so if one child is sleeping the other can be upright and vice versa.
- Does it have the kind of accessories you might need available? (coffee cup holder, storm cover, sunshade with spf).
- Is there enough storage space – you need a lot of stuff when you’re out and about with a baby. Does it fir your nappy bag? Can you access it when the seat is reclined.
- It’s a great idea to chat to some experienced mums about what worked best for them and what they recommend so you can choose the best buggy for you and your baby!
You might also like
8 ways to love a Bugaboo Fox
Already coveting a Bugaboo? Wait til you meet the sassiest new addition to the family and here's 8 ways to love it.
Baby name predictions 2018
Are you a mama-to-be? Take a look at the top baby name predictions of 2018!
6 tips to boost body confidence
Embrace the body changes and learn to love the skin you're in...