Nursery craft: Whale tale
Create stylish storage for your nursery with sea-themed drawers!
1 wooden chest of drawers with four drawers
500ml Resene Lustacryl paint in Resene Tranquil, Resene Morning Glory, Resene Fountain Blue, Resene Hippie Blue, Resene Cotton Wool, Resene Half Stack
Resene Quick Dry sealer
Sandpaper: 80 grit, 150 grit and 180 grit
Mini paint rollers
Small paint brushes
1. Remove drawers, then unscrew handles from drawers.
2. Sand drawers and unit with 80-grit sandpaper to remove any old polyurethane, then sand with 120-grit sandpaper until smooth.
3. Use mini roller and brush to paint unit and drawer fronts with a coat of Resene Quick Dry sealer. Leave to dry.
4. Use mini rollers and a brush to paint unit with two coats of Resene Half Stack. Leave to dry and lightly sand with 180-grit sandpaper between coats.
5. Do the same for the drawer fronts, painting each drawer in a different Resene blue. Top drawer: Tranquil; second drawer; Morning Glory; third drawer; Fountain Blue; bottom drawer; Cotton Wool.
6. When drawers are dry, trace the Whale onto the bottom drawer. Paint two or three coats with small paint brushes in Resene Cotton Wool, leaving to dry and lightly sanding with a small piece of 180-grit sandpaper between coats.
7. Paint a water spout on the second and third drawers, using the same process as you did for the whale.
8. Reattach handles.
Choosing similar colours from dark to light is an easy way to create a colour palette. Use the Resene Multifinish collection to find your favourite, and select lighter and darker tones.
You might also like
DIY: Kids artwork frames
Wondering what to do with all the artwork your kids make at home or kindy? Why not turn a wall in your house into a gallery.
DIY indoor cubby house
Explore the imagination with an indoor cubby house.
Nursery craft: Moon wall mural
Baby on board? Decorate your nursery or little ones bedroom with a mural that's out of this world.